7 November 2017

Addictive TV - 3 great series


After over an hour of aimless Netflix browsing, trying to find a good tv show to watch, I was finally forced to conclude that great shows are too much of a rarity these days. With TV hosting platforms, such as Netflix and Amazon video, more popular than ever I expected my search for a quality tv show to be short and simple. However, I’ve started to realise that more options doesn’t necessarily equate to good options. While I can admit to finding tv shows like Riverdale, Pretty Little Liars and The Walking Dead entertaining, I can’t say they’re anything special, more just time-fillers. What infuriates me even further is, what seems like, the use of beautiful actors/actresses in an attempt to make up for average storylines and sloppy writing (particularly apparent in Pretty Little Liars).


So, in case you’re having the same problem as me, I’ve decided to share three of my favourite (non-comedy) tv shows for homey days when you just feel like curling up on the sofa and relaxing. 


Prison Break

"After Lincoln Burrows is convicted of a crime he didn't commit and put on death row, his brother creates an elaborate plan to break him out" 


Hands down one of my favourite tv series of all time. With a cleverly written plot and great characters, this is perfect if you want something thought-provoking. Every character is equally as interesting as each other and each episode leaves you wanting more. I especially love the way each moment is well thought out and how all the elements come together at the end. You are also given a great raw insight into prison life.

The Night Of 

"A complex New York City Murder case with cultural and political overtones. Follows a Pakistani American born college student and his unfortunate involvement in the murder." 

You'll find yourself hooked right from the first episode. The series plays around with the idea of racism and its role within the Criminal justice system, perfectly highlighting that racism is still very much a problem even in modern day society. The whole series is brilliantly written with an amazing cast (including John Turtorro who is just right for his part). The murderer is cleverly unveiled through tiny clues and intricate details, making it extremely hard to guess the killer.

Big Little Lies 

"Follows the seemingly perfect lives of the women of Monterey, Calif. However amidst the doting moms, successful husbands and beautiful children, exists a broken community fueled by rumors and consisting of fractured relationships." 

I first discovered this series after reading the book it is based off by Liane Moriarty. I usually find movies/tv series never live up to the books they are based off, however, considering I watched the entire series on a 13 hour flight, this is definitely an exception. The close reflection to reality and great intricate, but also relatable, characters, are what make this series so compelling.

What are you're favourite tv shows?

10 comments so far

  1. Im obsessed with Riverdale and Stranger Things.

    Vanessa x | www.springlilies.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oo yess Stranger Things is pretty good too! x

      Delete
  2. Prison Break is my fave! ;)
    http://sepatuholig.blogspot.com/
    ig @grace_njio

    ReplyDelete
  3. toooootally agree with you on this! goodlooking actors with average storylines are definitely time fillers, i mean i LOVE riverdale but it's not exactly the most incredibe writing ever is it!? always so americanised and over the top too, i usually prefer something a little more believable.

    big littles lies was categorically the best programme ive seen for a really really long time. i always loved prison break when it came out as well, so given that it looks like we have quite similiar taste in music...next on my list is the night of.

    katie. xx lacoconoire.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it sounds like we pretty much have exactly the same taste! I'll have to ask you next time i'm looking for a good tv series to watch ;)

      You'll love The Night Of! I promise you'll be hooked from the first episode, in some ways I thought it was even better than Big Little Lies (even though it was pretty hard to beat). x

      Delete
  4. At the moment I'm loving Stranger Things. So good.

    Zoey Olivia, www.zoeyolivia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stranger Things is pretty great tbh. Not sure if I like the second season as much as the first yet though.

      Delete
  5. I haven't watched any of these, but I really need to! Prison Break has been on my to-watch list for YEARS

    Steph - www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite TV series ever, is Supernatural. That's so good. And!!! Did you watch the new season of Prison Break already? It's insane!

    Heidi ✨ | Heidi’s Planner

    ReplyDelete

Meera's Blog © . Design by FCD.